Red error circle when sending

Angela

27 Aug, 2011 07:00 AM

I've used Textie for years & have been very happy with it. However, I've started getting the little red circle sending error very frequently when trying to send messages. This happens when I've left the app running in the background, unused, for a while. Once I get the error, I try using the 'resend' option on that screen several times with no luck. After I close the app and restart it, the next message I try to send goes through immediately.

It wouldn't be a big deal except that once I get to that screen, I can only resend. I can't copy and paste the message -- which I'd need to do to use that message once I restart the app. So basically I've had to type in almost every message I've sent lately twice... once before I get the error and once after I remember I should have restarted the app. :-)

I'm sending these messages to another Textie user, if that makes a difference.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Textie Support on 02 Sep, 2011 01:31 AM

Hi Angela--

Thanks for the heads up!

The red circle indicates that your app is unable to reach https://textie.me Are you ever on a wifi network that uses a proxy server perhaps?

We should add the ability to copy from the unsent message in the next update.

2. Textie Support closed this discussion on 02 Sep, 2011 01:31 AM.

3. Angela re-opened this discussion on 02 Sep, 2011 08:11 PM

4. 2 Posted by Angela on 02 Sep, 2011 08:11 PM

I have problems both on my wi-fi network at home (which has no proxy server) and while out & about on 3G. My husband uses Textie also & has never had this error at home. Maybe there's a conflict with something else I'm running...?

So glad to hear you'll add "copy" ability soon. That'll make the problem much less annoying! :-)

5. 3 Posted by Noel on 09 Sep, 2011 04:59 PM

I've been having the exact same problem in the latest version. So much so, that my wife and I are looking for an alternative texting program.

It happens most often when coming from the background. The message you try send can't be delivered and has the red button next to it. Also, there's no previous messages in that same page.

It looks like Textie is trying to deliver the message to the phone number instead of replying to the textie email of the person you're having the conversation with. Probably something gets paged out in low memory conditions.

Very, very annoying :-(

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Textie Support on 09 Sep, 2011 08:38 PM

Thanks for the additional info, folks!

This is proving to be a difficult bug to reproduce! Noel, are you pretty sure about that "coming from background" thing? If there is not previous message in the same page, it's well possible that Textie can't figure out where to send the message. To get in this state, does that mean that you are using the "Compose" button to send a new message, rather than replying in a conversation?

7. Textie Support closed this discussion on 09 Sep, 2011 08:38 PM.

8. Noel Llopis re-opened this discussion on 11 Sep, 2011 12:02 AM

9. 5 Posted by Noel Llopis on 11 Sep, 2011 12:02 AM

This is definitely happening on existing conversations. When I start replying, I see the previous messages, I press send, and they all disappear and I get the can't send text message and the red button.

Maybe it's my luck, but it seems that if before start typing a message, I go back to the screen with all the conversations, and then tap on the one I want to reply, this never happens.

I'm also pretty sure it never happens if I re-start Textie. It seems to only happen when it comes from the background already in the page with the conversation you want to reply to.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info. It happens quite a bit, so it should be easy for me to check.

--Noel

10. 6 Posted by Noel Llopis on 16 Sep, 2011 05:19 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Red error circle when sending

OK, I think I found a 100% repro case:
    - Start Textie and go to the page with the conversation with one person
    - Exit Textie
    - Receive a message from that person with push notifications
    - Unlock the screen and Textie comes up in the screen with that person's messages

Here's the key thing: The newest message isn't displayed in the conversation, and the top left button shows a (1) indicating there's a new message elsewhere. But this is the page where the message should be!

If I send a message, it always goes to the red button, invalid screen. It's as if, when the new message arrives, it invalidates the current person you're exchanging messages with in that page.

Hope that helps.

--Noel

11. 7 Posted by Bobai Kovich on 21 Sep, 2011 09:37 PM

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as Noel. Also, on the notification badge at the app icon the count of messages is always one more than the messages actually received. For example, when I receive one message, the icon badge shows (2).

Hope you can fix this soon.

12. 8 Posted by what are the be... on 15 Feb, 2013 03:30 AM

what are the best free iphone apps's Avatar

Ich bin beeindruckt, muss ich sagen. Wirklich nicht oft begegne ich ein Blog, das jeder Bildungs-und unterhaltsam ist, und lassen Sie mich Ihnen mitteilen, haben Sie den Nagel auf den Kopf getroffen. Ihr Konzept ist hervorragend, die Schwierigkeit ist eine Sache, die nicht genügend Menschen sprechen intelligent zu werden. Ich bin sehr selig, dass ich überall in meinem suchen stolperte nach etwas über diese.

13. 9 Posted by private shore e... on 24 Mar, 2014 07:40 PM

Ihre Website scheint zu sein, einige Kompatibilitätsproblemein meinem IE-Browser . Der Text scheint sich von der Homepage ziemlich schlecht läuft. Wenn Sie möchten, können Sie eine E -Mail an mich und ich werde Sie über einen Screenshot des Problems zu schießen.

14. 10 Posted by интернет агентс... on 17 Apr, 2014 11:14 AM

Wo kann ich Ticket für Kings Island in Ohio ?

15. 11 Posted by Williamen on 24 May, 2016 10:18 AM

Very good post. Will read on... Parr

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac