Weird Issues Since 1.0.4 Update!

rareyman

08 Jun, 2010 01:42 AM

My wife and I use Textie all the time and we love it (we call it TxT for short :P). Everything seemed to be working fine, until I updated to 1.0.4. Here's what happens:

1) I send her a message (with image, no image, doesn't matter)
2) It hangs and eventually times out
3) She receives the message anyway!
4) Now I have two threads in my Textie list: one that shows her full name, and another that shows her email address. The one that shows her Full Name shows her messages only and all my sent messages are gone. The thread with her email address shows only my sent messages and none of her messages.

(Any messages she sends me come through no problem. She has also updated to 1.0.4 since all this started happening and no change in the behavior I just described.)

What the heck is going on? I'm thinking I should remove Textie and reinstall it, but I'm bummed that I will lose all my past messages before I can take advantage of the "archive" feature that I hear is coming.

Attached is an image showing screenshots of what things look like. Or if that doesn't work: http://grab.by/4O9F

Any help would be great!

Ross

1. 1 Posted by rareyman on 08 Jun, 2010 04:51 AM

Well, I just wanted to report a follow up.

I decided to completely delete Textie from my iPhone and reinstall from scratch. The first message I sent to my wife went through fine, and her reply came back perfectly. However, when I replied back again, I got the same behavior as noted in my first post: The message hung (endless timer icon), she still received the message and I now have two threads of messages on my Textie message list. One thread showing her message and another thread showing my messages that were not sent.

Yikes! Things were working great for us before 1.0.4! Any way for us to go back to 1.0.3?!?

I still have faith in you guys and I consider Textie to be an awesome piece of iPhone software — I have been recommending Textie to all my iPhone friends! I really hope this gets resolved soon…

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Ross

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Textie Support on 08 Jun, 2010 09:54 PM

Hi Ross,

Thanks for reporting your trouble. Can you try using the "Contact Info" button at the top of conversations to make sure her email addresses and phone numbers are part of the same address book contact. Conversations are sorted based on address book contacts. Use the "Add to existing contact" button in the conversation that doesn't show her name and avatar.

Let me know if that works.

Also, after doing that, is the unsent message still showing? (That's probably unrelated to the address book problem.)

3. Textie Support closed this discussion on 08 Jun, 2010 09:54 PM.

4. rareyman re-opened this discussion on 08 Jun, 2010 10:07 PM

5. 3 Posted by rareyman on 08 Jun, 2010 10:07 PM

Perfect! Looks like that fixed it. My wife has 4 email addresses and only the top 3 were showing in the iPhone address book and lo and behold, the one that dropped off the iPhone radar was the one registered on Textie. Once I removed one of the addresses and put in the address she registered with Textie, everything is back to normal!

Problem solved. You guys rock.

R

P.S. So to recap for others who may be affected by this:
    If your messages are getting split and you are having issues sending messages, make sure the recipients contact information is up to date and matches the contact information that Textie was registered with. (I'm assuming you could test this by temporarily removing all email addresses and adding them one by one until it works correctly?)

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Textie Support on 08 Jun, 2010 10:42 PM

Glad that worked. I think the solution is a little more simple than you describe. I'll add it to the troubleshooting section of our online help. Let me know if the following text is good (and also if you were aware of the online help-- maybe it is too hidden?). It will be good to have this:

Conversations Not Sorting As Expected In Textie App

Textie sorts all messages into conversations based on address book matching. When messages in the main conversation list show as being from an email address or phone number instead of a person's name, it means that your iPhone address book does not recoginize the address or number the sender has set as their Textie "sending as" address.

If you want that person's messages to show in the list with a name, or to sort into an existing conversation that already has their name, then you should add the person's new contact info to your address book.

To add contact info to your address book from within the Textie app, you can use the Contact Info button that's at the top of the chat view.

Once you are done bringing your address book up-to-date, the email addresses or numbers on incoming messages will be associated with the proper iPhone address book contact, and all messages from and to any of the person's addresses will sort into a single conversation named according to your address book contact name. Your address book picture for the person will also show in the conversation.

*For performance reasons, as of Textie Messaging 1.0.4, address book matching/sorting is temporarily disabled for address books containing more than 2000 contacts. We've hit the limits of Apple's current lookup API and are looking at alternate solutions.

7. Textie Support closed this discussion on 08 Jun, 2010 10:42 PM.

8. rareyman re-opened this discussion on 08 Jun, 2010 11:45 PM

9. 5 Posted by rareyman on 08 Jun, 2010 11:45 PM

That sounds great. :) Saw it off and ship it! :)

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Textie Support on 10 Jun, 2010 08:23 AM

Shipped to "Settings -> About -> Online Help -> Troubleshooting"! Thanks for the help.

11. Textie Support closed this discussion on 10 Jun, 2010 08:23 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac